03-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Help with a troublesome contractor

Long story short: In late July 2018, I signed up to install solar in my home. Little did I know at the time that it would take over 200 days to get it up and running. I'm trying to see if I can claim breach of contract and damages. Seeking feedback.

The details: My solar saga has been a nightmare. I'm not sure how to start this, so I'll probably bullet it out...
  • We spent 70 days in permitting (11 of which were with the county)
  • We spent 60+ days in inspections (inspector came 4 times and contractor fails to fix the stuff they marked on the first visit)
  • Contractor fried my fridge twice
  • We started making payments on the system before it was running
  • While the system is now working, it took over 200 days to get here

Between repairs to the fridge, payments, and lost production, I think I can claim about $2k. This doesn't include meal costs while the fridge was out.

The contract says work will be done within 60 days, not including delays out of the contractors control. But I feel 200+ days is a bit excessive, especially considering the county was quick in turning around corrections and the contractor failed to fix stuff the inspector found on the first visit.

When approached about this, my contractor said the delays were my fault since I asked them to perform unrelated electrical work mid-project that required getting an extra permit. However, it took 10 days from the time I requested it to the time the permit was issued. All of which occurred after we got the solar permit and started construction. Throughout the entire ordeal, the contractor was difficult to work with, wasn't very knowledgeable, and provided us with false information.

To their credit, they offered to pick up the repair costs of the fridge and interest accrued on payments, but not the principal itself.
  • Am I being unreasonable for asking $2k or should I be done with it and accept their offer?
  • Is the contractor in breach of contract for not delivering the system in time?

Last edited by capt_slow; 03-04-2019 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0