04-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #58
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I'll admit I'm out of touch with the average American so pardon the ignorance...but do you people really make long-distance trips that often. Why?

An EV would not be a good choice to drive across the country. Also, a Camry would not be a good choice if you need to haul lumber.
Why would someone use a Camry to haul lumber across country? We have trains and trucks that deliver lumber from the source of manufacture to one's local home center.

Maybe if you took a road trip and noticed all the out of state tags on the cars around you, you'd understand that people do take long-distance trips. For example, a family of 4 that makes an average annual income of, say $45K, and who buys a used Camry with 80,000 miles on it for $8K, may take a road trip vs. flying 4 people 1,500 miles to see their mother/grandmother.

I mean seriously, have you ever noticed how the major hotel chains are all clustered around certain major interstate intersections? And if you road trip, most all of those hotels fill up after 7PM. Especially in the summer.

One final thought... If Americans didn't need/want 400-mile range in their ICE vehicles to road trip with, manufacturers would only put in 8-gallon gas tanks instead of 16 gallon gas tanks...

You should be a Politician
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-17-2021 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0