04-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #60
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
We're making the same point here. There isn't 1 car, gas-powered or otherwise, that does everything. They're all tools, they all have use cases and trade-offs. If a tool doesn't suit your needs, that doesn't necessarily mean the tool is bad, it just means you need something else.

An E90 is just as compromised as anything else. Unless you're using it to haul large furniture, tow a boat, drive HPDE's, and got a federal tax credit on it, yes you made some trade-offs here. Honestly even having to gas it up is a genuine compromise.
And there is a different purpose for salad forks vs. dinner forks. And prop airplanes vs. jets. And twin beds vs. king-size beds. And band-aid vs. gauze/medical tape. But if I compare a Tesla Model 3 to my E90 FOR THE SAME USE CASE, I've not had to compromise owning my E90. For me, refueling a Model 3 is actually inconvenient because my home charging station would be a 90 second walk over to my shop where I have a source of electricity to install a home charger. That 90 second walk is uncovered over open ground, so when it rains hard with wind, I'd get soaked, my shoes would get muddy and I'd have wet feet all day. Being that I drive a lot, I refuel twice a week at a gas station on my commute that is never completely occupied, so I never wait to refuel and it takes about 5 minutes from card-in-pump to ass-in-drivers seat to recharge, so my recharge time is 10 minutes a week, which is less time for me to walk over and back to my theoretical Tesla during the week. If I were to stop at a Tesla Super Charger station near my office, I'd have to drive 20 minutes out of my way to get to it and then sit there an hour or more to fully recharge, on top of my existing 1 hour and 1/2 half commute. Entry to the gas station I use takes 5 seconds to pull off the road and to the fuel pump and 5 seconds to get back on the road. I use the same pump every time.

So you'd be wrong about that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-17-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
chassis6487.00