View Single Post
      01-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
What a novel idea! Maybe they should call that a hybrid?
In all seriousness BMW has plans to hybridize pretty much their entire lineup sometime in the next decade, not to mention 9 electric vehicles by 2025.

Btw current plug in hybrid 330e has 12-kW-hr battery, it is about 440 pounds heavier than the 330i. BMW says the battery weights around 330 pounds, and other hybrid components adds an additional 110 pounds.

If they can get 50% improvement in battery weight/performance the hybrid weight penalty will be less than 300lbs vs 440lbs currently. Or they can put twice as powerful battery for same weight -they can stuff a smaller 3 cylinder petrol engine, maybe even remove transmission too for weight savings.
Haha, I should have expanded on that a little bit - I like the 45e cars but why do they put in such a low tuned version of the engine, a B58 at full power plus the existing electric motor would be great.

On the note of a 3 cylinder, the B38 isn't much lighter than the B48, might as well go with the B48 - which is what the i8 always needed in my mind.