08-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #275
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I'm not sure I buy that. You can if you want. That's up to you.

Your proposal that choice of oil is relevant while ignoring that significant gasoline contamination occurs frequently but top tier gas has "nothing to do with fuel solution" seems nonsensical to me. And NOTHING can prevent intake valve deposits. They can be minimized, but not prevented.

Shawn
It was a typo. I meant to type "fuel dilution" rather than "fuel solution". In any case the purpose behind top tier fuel is to keep injector tips clean. They're incredibly hot in the combustion chamber and at shut down the fuel at the tips will carbonize. Clean tips minimize the change for poor spray pattern. Poor spray pattern can result in high levels of fuel dilution. Make sense? TT fuel has no cleaning effect via the crankcase. It's simply not possible.

As for my oil comment. All else being equal using high SAPS oils (LL01, LL01fe) can result in more IVD compared to Low SAPs (LL04, LL17fe).

The 20w oil used by BMW in the US is low SAPS (ACEA C5) but that wasn't always the case with previous gen TGDI engines.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1