Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
I saw this earlier but I didn't want to say anything because I already called him out earlier on another post.

Here's the thing, most people don't really understand what the BMW i8 really is, nor do they know the figures that it produces or the kind of performance that it has. I have seen all the back and forth debates and comparisons to the Tesla when this car is actually closer to the Porsche 918 than it is to a Tesla. So most people make opinions from their guesses of what they think it is.

But I am not the i8 police and I digress.
I miss the torque feel and translation into overall speed, is what I meant. I realize the M4's higher horsepower also plays a role here. My friend's M4 has a couple mods, but even my base M4 felt faster/more immediately torquey and the shift settings, more aggressive. 0-60 times are also faster in the M4, according to most if not all reviews. I also wish it wouldn't up-shift on its own. But of course, I still enjoy the ingenuity of the i8!

Btw, feel free to "call me out" on any post. I didn't notice where you did previously, but I'm all about sharing information and perspectives in a friendly manner.

Regarding the all electric Tesla you mentioned, If only looking at 0-60 times, in insanity mode, it's no fair. Under 3 seconds for them! But yes, hybrid setup, there are i8 similarities to the 918 & LaFerrrari or even the McLaren P1, on a much different scale, of course.
Yeah sometimes I digress but I am very friendly and helpful here on this forum.

The reason I say the i8 is closest to the 918 is because the La Ferrari cannot really drive in full electric only mode. There is a report that it can but its for such a short period of time that I believe thats the reason why Ferrari says that it cannot. So for all intents and purposes I continue to say that it cannot.
The i8 is currently in its own class because there's nothing out there that you can buy new that is like it. The closest thing cost MSRP $900,000 and that was the Porsche 918 which you'll have to buy used at more than double that price if you want one. And is the 918 almost $2,000,000 better than the i8? Me personally I would say no, but if I could afford a 918 it doesn't mean I wouldn't get one.
The McLaren is a track focused car and it can also drive in full electric mode but like the 918 it's been sold out and if you want to get one its at a totally different price point.
The Acura NSX costs more than the i8, but it's much closer to the i8 price point and you can add options till its $50k more. It produces significantly more power with its twin turbo V6. It also has two electric motors up front which gives it torque vectoring across the front axle. But it won't get the same fuel economy in the i8 and it's NOT a plugin hybrid, it has a more traditional hybrid setup.

So the BMW i8 with its exotic looks, the relatively low weight just under 3,500lbs, because of the intensive carbon fiber used, the Jekyll and Hyde personality of the driving modes, and the low cost compared to anything else with the same setup, really makes the i8 something very special in the market right now. And comparing this to the Tesla as an apples to apples comparison which is a 4 door sedan, weighting just under 5000lbs (in the P90D), from a very new auto maker, that is all electric just makes no sense to me. Tesla's are really great cars, but they are different cars altogether. You cannot even use the back seats in the i8 to fit fully grown adults. But again I digress.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34188.50