Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Just curious, what is the difference between Euro and US Rex cars?
Experts will weigh in though to me seems gas tank and control to initiate the rex motor are the primary difference. The USA tank is 1.9 gal vs 2.4 gal everywhere else. In the USA market the driver has no control to initiate the rex motor, it starts automatically only when the battery is down to 5% (about). Elsewhere the driver can start the rex motor when the battery has about 25% remaining.

For me the bev or rex would work for 98% of my driving. It is the odd small trip where the USA rex fails. With the non USA set up I could imagine going on a 200-300 mile weekend. That is at 25% SOC start the rex motor and run the gas out or to the edge and refill (perhaps more than once). With the USA rex cutting it close is too great a risk not to mention the (slightly smaller tank). Had they not hobbled the USA rex in this manner I would already have one. Instead I continue to burn gasoline with reckless abandon in my 135i. I hope BMW hears this type of message enough and offers a real range extended version (and I don't need and HOV lane sticker, thanks. Most of my driving is in the city with no HOV lanes.
Makes me wonder if one were to get a euro gas tank and retrofit it to the Rex. Then get someone to reprogram it to euro spec so the Rex could be turned on at any time. Give it time I'm sure someone will do it.
Appreciate 0