Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I think it comes down to tires being the most important factor and awd with the wrong tires leads many drivers down here into a false sense of security. It's one thing if you live in an area that switches to snows in the winter, but in areas that that's less common, awd is a false flag.
:: picks mic back up ::

Yep. My retorts (purposefully) don't introduce tires into the equation. Fact is, only the WRX/STi come with three-season tires as standard because, well, they're performance cars that happen to be 4WD. The rest of the line come with four-season tires as standard -- and the rest of the line are the ones aimed at the 'average driver'.

So, to restate: For the average driver, 4WD is inherently safer than 2WD if the same type of tire is used.

Any above-average driver or so-called 'car enthusiast' should know that summer tires are not good below 40F or so on any vehicle. That kind of knowledge is (or should be) basic 101-level stuff.
Oh, absolutely agree. Now if Subaru would just make more turbos. My mom lives at 7k feet, so giving up 30% of the stock power just isn't fun when she can buy anything with a turbo and give up negligible power. I won't recommend a Subaru to her because of this.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00