03-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPVG39 View Post
Where is this information coming from exactly? Official info all has said 2024, with a possibility or going further. BMW is making money on every i3 right now and they are selling very well in EU. Don’t think they’ll cut it off. IX, and i4 does not fit at all into the buyers group that the i3 was intended to. It would be a mistake to cut it out so early.
While I agree, the EV market is VERY competitive and 2020 saw many new EV's being released, more coming this year, most are not a direct competitor to the i3.

The technology is developing faster than first expected, much thanks to Tesla.
Hence the i3 is lagging behind in many areas faster than expected.

Range is one, as the current approx. 300km range is just not cutting it, when the price wise competitive cars like Renault Zoe, Hyundai Ionic and some of the new Chinese cars like the MG for the most part sport a range in the 360-450km range.
The release of the VW ID3 late last year & ID4 this year, which has range options from 450-530km and tech far superior to the i3.

Then there is Tech.
Autonomous driving is fast becoming a standard, thanks to Tesla, VW, Audi, Polestar, Mercedes etc. While not a competitor to the i3, the i3 is fast becoming out tech'ed and out ranged, probably faster than expected just 2 years ago.

Also most buyers want an EV that looks like a "normal" car, these futuristic designed EV's that came out 5-8 years ago are no longer interesting, there is no "statement" to be made anymore that you drive an EV. People just want a car.

Not sure what the situation is elsewhere, but from mid-2020, i3's were sold heavily discounted in Norway, almost 25% down on the list price.
My 2020 i3s was 35.000 euros, spec'ed to my desire (fully loaded), if I build the same car on the BMW website, its 44.000 Euros, 45.000 with the winter tire package, which is about the same as the ID3.

I think BMW see that the i3 will not be competitive much longer, sales will drop and to update the car to match the competition, will cost too much just to keep the car on the market an extra 1-2 years.
From a business perspective it makes sense to cut the model short and focus on the new models.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50