Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea totally! .

I was referring to the bmw mini E program witch then turned to the bmw 1 series E program that started back in 2008. They where every day cars that where electric but they where test beds for the public but as such you could only lease.

They where all precursors for the I program to learn habits of the electric car drivers and their practical needs.

It takes years for these programs to become real so that's what I had meant by it started around 2000 and technically beat the Tesla roadster but that was also could be seen as a pet project and not a main stream car.

I still credit Tesla with being the first to market with a viable all encompassing mass product appeal.

Now bmw has had electric cars over their history that where technically every day cars like the Tesla S and where not at all crazy future toys but they where nothing really more than pet projects.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2016-5%3famp
Yeah, they did release an electric mini last year.

While I will never own a Tesla, I do appreciate what they have done to EV's and force other manufacturers to up their game.
Will be interesting to see if EV's are the future, or a stepping stone to a new technology.
in 2020 Norway, as the first county in the world, more than 50% of new cars sold were EV's.
I think we are close to 10% of all cars on the road being EV's now, over 26.000 i3's, so I typically see dosens of them every time I'm out driving.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0