06-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #110
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
I like the look and the interior, would love to drive one to see how it feels. The videos with the lack of drove train noise don't encourage emotion but do show it's quick.

I also think all the manufacturers all owe Tesla a debt of gratitude as Tesla pioneered all the battery technology to go into an EV (from how to solder and assemble such a big battery to cooling one, motors etc). No one had ever had a go at these engineering challenges prior to them starting up.

Equally, as Tesla was started by electrical engineers not car engineers it does show - their motors and batteries are more advanced than other manufacturers but their ability to design and produce a car lags every major manufacturer as they have had to learn that stuff. The cars are very good for such a young manufacturer and the super charger network is a stroke of genius.

For me, I like premium cars with nuanced chassis tuning, rand heritage, quality handling and looks. I think BMW, Audi, Porsche etc all provide that but they're inferior from a drive train / range perspective but that's OK. They'll catch up and in the mean time their cars will nice steers with quality interiors. It's also quite impressive that Porsche and Audi can make their cars steer and feel so different despite sharing the platform and drive train.

I hope this i4 drives/steers half as well as a 3-series or M3 with similar practicality and cost as it could be my next daily.
After 7 straight BMWs - primarily 3 and 4 series my company went all green and the company car needed to be electric. The Tesla Model 3 SR+ (Rear wheel drive version) was the best choice. I feared for the driving dynamics A LOT coming from the trusty Bavarians but my good this thing can drive! Amazing in the corners and rear wheel drive and plenty of power