View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

The i8 has always been mostly a rolling concept vehicle. It doesn't really excel at anything (except maybe its looks). Its not terribly fast, its not terribly efficient, it doesn't handle particularly great, its not really a compelling EV, its not even terribly practical. (Yet, somehow I still bought one...) :-)

Once BMW gets their feet under them with mainstream, practical EV's, I expect the i8 will go away. (The i3 ISNT one of these) Lots of manufacturers are delivering EV's with 250+ miles of range (or are about to...). Jaguar, Audi, Benz, and BMW are committed to joining the likes of Tesla.

Once a bunch of mainstream auto mfr's join the EV market with really compelling models and options (INHO: 250+ miles range being critical), then we'll see more of them start adding performance oriented options and models.

None of this favors the i8.

Once people realize that EV's are best used within a viable daily driving range, and that they don't need/want a public charging infrastructure if they can charge overnight in their own garage, that will effectively be critical mass for the species.

The acceleration of EV sales is not stopping. Tesla has broken some crazy sales records each of the last two months with the Model 3. With Audi, Benz, and BMW gearing up to enter the market very soon that will solidify the option of buying a really viable EV in the very near term.

Unfortunately for the i8, as EV's become more-and-more viable (Long Range), middle-ground hybrids will be going the way of the dinosaur. Especially as performance oriented model options become available. Maybe the i8 will become some sort of a collector's item (like the Isetta).

Tesla Roadster anyone?
Appreciate 1
ghaffari461100.50