Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
Z8 struts tower brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan.egan44 View Post
Just the bogo standard one. Went for that for two reasons, 1) it costs far less 2) the manual transmission.

So we had major concerns about the struts cracking and the chassis bending too, but the BMW Z8 owners club do a great job of solving stuff like that - there's now something, been around for quite a while, from BMW called the "Performance Package". It is a strut brace bar across the engine bay and also has really strong new heads for the strut towers. In the community no one has seen their Z8 have the problem with the struts after they fit it! To my knowledge, at least.
Quite right. I put the Perf Pkg (brace system) on my Z8s' well before the towers had an opportunity to deform or crack. BMW still sells the tower parts, but now, individually, as opposed to a full pkg. Not an absolute preventative cure, but darn near it. If anyone ever looks to buy a Z8, that's the first of several issues to look for. If the towers are deformed already, it's near impossible to fix and the brace won't fit. Have a professional PPI performed before purchase.
Appreciate 0