09-06-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
gs6456
Electric!
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 i4 M50  [9.00]
Dallas to Austin

We just completed our Labor Day Weekend trip from Dallas to Austin. This was our first attempt at taking the M50 for any considerable distance. It was surprisingly easy.

I charged to 100% the night before and the car showed 266 miles of range.

By the time we got to the Electrify America station outside of Waco we had 56%. Three of the six stalls were down, but only two of them were occupied, so we plugged in to the 350KW charger and went into the Walmart. When we came back 30 minutes later we were at 95%.

In addition to seeing a Rivian, iX50, and various other EVs, we also had a Ford Lighting park next to us and try to use the same charger we were using. This is how we discovered that only one of the two cables on each charger can be used at a time. Major design flaw.

Almost all of us were noobs so it was funny to see all of us with our confused faces trying to figure everything out. It was actually pretty simple. Just plug in, and tap your phone on the NFC section of the charger. My biggest gripe was the lag between my inputs and the screen responding.

By the time we got to Austin we had close to 50%. We did a little driving while we there, but never charged again until the day we left. We found another Electrify America station in Roundrock on the outskirts of Austin and plugged in for another 30 minute session at a 350KW charger. We went from 29% to 89%. This station was at an outlet mall so we went in and looked around. Again, it was painless. We did end up charging for 32 minutes and discovered that the session doesn't automatically end at 30 minutes. Once the 30 minutes is up you start racking up a bill. The 2 extra minutes added up to $0.99.

We had enough range to get back to Dallas, but because the traffic was heavy and we were ready to get out of the car we stopped at the same station in Waco as on the way down. This time, we weren't so lucky. 3 of the 6 chargers were still down, and the other 3 were occupied. Having said that, we didn't have to wait long before someone left and we were charging again. We didn't take the whole 30 minutes as we didn't really need the maximum charge. We charged from 57% to 75% and headed home.

Very uneventful in all the best ways. We charged a total of 96kWh for a cost of $0.99.

Also, if you're ever in Austin, check out Valentina's. Definitely worth it.
Appreciate 4
Raille55.50
Kenny C147.50
AJFord115.50
EdM54066.00