Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
I won't go into my usual diatribe of carbon footprint and the "eco/green" movement hypocrisy...

Someone, somewhere is caning on that Viper and Merc.

So if you're truly going to amortize the petroleum consumption of that car, it's better as a pleasure car that would be used on the weekends or 1 or 2 x per month. At 14mpg either car, put on say 100 miles a month, that's 7 gallons or so...

Versus the MB daily driving.... who knows the OPs commute but let's assume 40 miles a day (I think that's average right?). That's 800 miles a month not including weekends. That's more like 56 gallons... as a conservative estimate of 3 tanks. So in the course of a year, like 10k miles so 700ish gallons.

So i3 as a daily will save whatever the i3s consumption is to the MB Delta. And you drive the viper on the weekends and net a huge reduction in fuel consumption.

All of this is moot as the i3 is in the OPs possession and I drive a TTV8 and couldn't give 2 hoots about mpgs.... let's worry about something else that may move the needle like say.... China's air pollution????
You're assuming the Viper's new owner is a 17yo with a 200mi commute, and the OP only used it to drive his mother to church on Sundays. Chances are the new owner will drive it in a similar manner as the OP. Plus, as the car ages it will be driven less and less.

Electrics haven't realized their full potential yet, and still have a number of challenges to overcome - but if you think we'll all be driving something powered by fossil fuels in 20 years you may be in for a surprise.
Viper was what I think most of us are lamenting the OP parting with. Hell, buy the i3 and "save" the world.

I have a feeling you're in the progress is good camp. I'm more pragmatic and realize that there is no "free" anything. Basic physics of our existence states that you are stealing from Paul to pay Peter in all aspects of life. There are always consequences for one technology over another. The fallout may vary but the magnitude will be the same.
Appreciate 0