View Single Post
      07-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #114
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Like I said, it's not about price. RM's are six figures, but still more of a sports watch.

Rolexes aren't dressy to me. Wearing one with a suit is fine, but if I'm really dressing up something with less lume, no bezel and finer details makes more sense.

I do agree that Rolex is the starting point for quality watches though, the kind that hold their value or better, have in house movements and are sought after by collectors. PAM is a very similar brand to me for those same reasons.
But if you can afford six figures on a watch, thats a luxury. People live in houses that cost less than that piece of bling on your wrist. I dont think it matters at ALL what the watch really looks like, if you can spend that much on a watch, thats a luxury

Lets not forget the definition of "luxury"
lux·u·ry
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.

These expensive watches fit both 1 and 2, entirely despite their appearance. Luxury isnt neccessarily about being formal or dressy, its about opulence, its about spoiling yourself. Spending 5 figures on a watch is a luxury. Spending even 4 figures on a watch is a luxury. To MOST of the world, spending 3 figures on watch is a luxury.

Dismissing watches with a 6 figure price tag as "not luxury" to me is just a bit silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Luxury is probably the wrong term to use here. "Dressy" is a better term. "Dressy" vs "Sporty"

Or maybe "formal" vs "sporty/casual"
I think this is a good way to explain what I am trying to say. Luxury =/= Formal.

But at any rate, ALL these watches over the 4 figure mark look nice enough to wear with just about any suit to just about any occasion. Even the "sporty non formal" watches in these price ranges would be totally acceptable at any wedding, any dinner party, any yacht club meeting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
How about this? An F458 is sporty, but not overtly luxurious. It's also pretty stinking expensive.

A Hyundai Equus is luxurious, but not overtly sporty. It's not terribly expensive.

If cost alone dictated what was luxurious, an F1 car or LeMans racer would be luxurious, even though most folks that could afford one wouldn't even be able to get into it, much less survive a few bumps.

This continues to be a silly, non substantiated argument, so feel free to make fun of any or all parts of it.
Buying an F458 is a luxury. Its still a luxurious car. Buying an F1 or LeMans car would be a luxurious purchase as well because its so inessential... by it's very meaning these kinds of purchases are "luxury" whereas buying a Hyundai is not:
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
A hyundai is usually a daily driver, it is not terribly expensive (especially not compared to a Ferrari) and is likely to be essential as it functions as a daily driver. A F458 or F1 racer will sit in a garage most the time, its not needed, they are expensive and hard to obtain. This makes them inessential, but they conduct pleasure.

Buying a Hyundai Equus over a Honda Civic may be a bit of a luxurious splurge but, on the scale we are talking about here, buying an Equus versus a Ferrari is still a very logical and non-luxurious decision. "Luxury" class cars are not always a true "luxury" - these cheap luxury cars are designed to emulate what you can get out of top-end cars. They are designed to be affordable, which goes against the definition of luxury.

It really is just apples and oranges but whatever word you use, I dont know how you can try to detract from what a 5 figure watch is by calling it non luxurious or "sporty not dressy" or whatever. Its a 5 figure watch for goodness sake

I hope you do not look down on people with cheaper watches than you...
Appreciate 0