Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
just made the switch from a Canon 70D to the Sony A7iii. I'm blown away with the amount of options and features. Now I need a "Sony A7iii for Dummy's" book

Any advice on basic set up will be GREATLY appreciated.
The incredible flexibility of the a7III can also lead to incredible difficulty when things go wrong. Last week, I spent 45-minutes trying to figure out why an a7RIII was over exposing in Manual mode. I finally jury-rigged it to work, without ever figuring out what was wrong.

If you're shooting in Automatic mode, then the main thing to focus on is Autofocus choices. With Sony lenses, the choices are endless I use four modes (out of dozens). I use Lock-On Wide for bird-in-flight against even backgrounds, I use Lock-on Center for tracking BIF and other moving and stationary stuff and I use Lock-on Spot for things like little birds in bushes. I use Eye-detect for people. Eye-detect, for some strange reason, is not a Default setting, so you'll have to assign it to a button, somewhere on the camera body or Sony lens. I assign it to the top-right-back button.

It's key that you use Sony lenses. The adapters with Canon lenses won't give you Lock-on modes or Eye-detect mode.

The button between the Wheel and Joy Stick brings up a simplified menu in the viewfinder. I use that a lot.

It's a VERY complicated, but incredibly flexible. Sorry, but I don't know a good resource.