View Single Post
      07-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Frustrating day on "The Hooker" Saturday and yesterday.

Saturday, show up with my bro at 7, and there are already 4 people sitting on his 25' Boston Whaler, aka "The Hooker" Only 2 of them have ever thrown a line in salt water before. We went south due to the winds, spent most of the day drifting around out in front of Neptune's Net, and got nothing. Cruised up to a reef and found some rockfish, put about 15 in a bucket. One guy LOVES rockfish, says they are the best source of fish protein. 9yo puked his guts out after telling us the whole way down he never gets sick. Got to hand it to him though, never a complaint and we go back to the dock at 5:00

Yesterday I scooped my brother up a little past 5 and just the 2 of us headed out. Jetted out to the oil rig where all the light boats were targeting squid. We say huge clouds on the sonar, but couldn't hook a single one. None of the working boats would sell us a scoop either.
After about 1.5 hours we raced out to the gap between Anacrapa and Santa Cruz, tooled a round, marked lots of fish but couldn't land a single one. Toured some serious rock outcroppings that should have held tons of calicos, but no bites. Ran over to Chinese, chummed the shit out of the water with Deans flied out, and dropped frozen squid for the buts. Not even a mark on the sonar.

Finally cruised out to a shelf at about 300' and finally caught a single lizard fish (not sure what it really is) but that was the largest one we had ever seen. My brother landed a single chucklehead. We thought we had hit a spot and were at least going to come home with a few fish tacos.

Today my knees and ankles are killing me. Don't really realize how jarring that little boat and a bunch of morning sickness chop are until the next day.
Appreciate 1