United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Agree to this but the range thing for some people is probably not about daily drive range but more about that "What if time" for example: What if i need to haul these gianormous (insert any random thing here) can i do it? Then the answer will probably be no for those people.

Those what if moments are rare of-course this doesn't apply to all some people do those "rare" things more on daily basis then most of us do. So they wouldn't look at an EV to begin with because they don't met their demand either way. So in that aspect i believe we will still need Diesels for a while longer but i do believe Petrol will be phased out before Diesel will.

But yeah for most people they will do fine with today's EV's range, but what i find more annoying about EVs at this point at this time is the weight of the cars, if manufactures could focus a bit more on reducing their weight it would both improve range and the dynamic of the cars.

My best bet is if BMW would focus more on reducing the weight of the car the range will improve on its own, with that at the same time keeping up with OTA updates improving efficiency of current tech so people can feel a bit "safe" or "comfortable" with their choice of car so it wont feel obsolete in a year or two.
I just find it odd to shop for a vehicle based on rare occasions vs what you truly use it for daily.

I understand the person who commutes 300 miles daily for work, but I don't understand the person who commutes 300 miles twice a year.

For me, I can charge each night if I need to on my garage, I drive 95% city, and I drive literally 2 days out of the week at less than 15 miles total since I work at home. My range will likely be closer to 350-400 miles because its 95% city driving.

Having a low maintanence vehicle with the luxury of having a "full tank of fuel each time I press the start button from home," this car works for me.

I can still take road trips, rare, but the range is sufficient to DC fast charge every 150 or 200 miles if needed on EA networks which is free for 2 years @ 30 mins/session.

But yes, the weight of this thing is rather high. My M4cs is about 3,650 lbs, so adjusting to 4,883lbs (DIN weight) will be different once mine arrives, but I rarely use my current car for what it was intended for. 95% of the time I'm doing a grocery store/liquior store run with it, so the M50 makes sense for me as Florida has crazy rain storms between May-Oct so I do need AWD, with the added bonus of acceleration that I likely won't use much.
I just went from a Chevy Tahoe to a 540. I sacrificed the spur of the moment weekend trips to the hardware store for more pleasant daily driving and road tripping. I can make that compromise, especially when my wife has an SUV that's almost as big as the Tahoe (Lexus GX). I can't beat the hell out of it like a Chevy but I can make it work.

But I have family that lives 200 miles away and take a 500 mile trip to the beach once a year. So maybe 5 times a year I need decent range. That's enough for me not to compromise it, and that's pretty typical for people in the mid-southern US.

I drove 200 miles today, the last 80 or so into decent hills (Nashville TN). My 540 says I can go another 320+ without stopping for gas. Hard to beat that peace of mind.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 3
Swappy531.50
Mavus2029.50