sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
You don't purchase based on "maybe I want to take a road trip" and they don't design for 400 miles when the typical car rarely travels 100 miles a day let alone 300.

If you always plug in you will have a full tank days.

100 miles a day during the week every day amounts to 25k miles a year.

When I was going to Silicon Valley everyday O would do about 80 miles round trip. Add weekends and I could hit 24k miles in a year. But none of that was a 300 mile trip.

Adding the extra battery or more lightweight material to get more range will only increase cost for the 95% to benefit the 5%. That is a horrible tradeoff.

200+/- works for me. As long as I can get to Laguna Seca and back I'm golden.
I think people have made up their minds on this. It doesn't matter how many times I share my own experiences driving 1000 miles or more across the US in my 222 mile rated EV and making good time compared to my old X3. When I meet someone who thinks the charging infrastructure is not ready or the range isn't enough, it's just not likely to change their minds, no matter what data I share or how old their info is.

I'm not saying there are zero weak points or that more range would not be welcome, but people talk like it's just a dealbreaker for everyone that maybe there's a remote highway in Wyoming that isn't doable.

The reality is that you can now go pretty much anywhere on the freeway and have multiple stop options to charge up, and you might be surprised to find you can drive all day and the trip is maybe only 30 minutes longer overall than it would have been in an ICE. I can only speak from experience for I-15 and I-80, but you've got a 350kw DC option every 80 miles on average. They're frequent enough you hardly have to plan.
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00