View Single Post
      09-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'm a commercial AV integrator, and here's what I can tell you.

First of, HDMI specs 45' max for length, anything beyond that is out of the official specification. This doesn't mean things won't work with a cable that's longer, but it also depends on the cable itself, the source and the display. Some sources/cables/displays play nicer together than others.

"Active" cables exist and are able to push the signal further. They have an amplifier built in to the cable and use the small amount of voltage available on an HDMI port to work. These cables tend to be pricy and are directional...they will have the source and display ends labeled and if you pull/connect it in the opposite direction it will not work.

HDMI transmitters-receivers over Category wire exist, and they are the preferred method of carrying video over long distances. They consist of a "transmitter" that a source is plugged into via HDMI, this than converts the signal and sends it over Category wire to a "receiver" which then converts it back to HDMI. Depending on brand/model, these can send signals up to 330', some longer, but 330' is the max specified length due to the length limit spec of Cat6 wire.

If you choose to go the transmitter/receiver way, make sure you buy one with the HDBaseT chip and use Cat6 wire for your pull, even if the box says it'll work over Cat5. Cat5 is obsolete in the AV world and the cost difference of Cat6 you need here will be minimal.

And a final thought, HDMI is finicky and fragile, I actually hate it. If you're going to be pulling an HDMI cable through walls/ceilings/conduit...be gentle with it. Tie your pull string further up the cable so it doesn't pull on the end, and tape it tight so the connector can't get caught on anything.
Appreciate 2
jaye9441007.00
jgoens3787.50