02-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #3042
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Underwood ballistics are far superior to Black Talon / Ranger T ballistics in 10mm which is what I typically carry. ~1000fps for the BT/RT vs 1250+fps in the Underwood loads. Black Talon was more about the big expansion, but at the cost of penetration. They found that it was more or less as effective a "manstopper" as other hollow points at the time. Modern hollow point designs beat the pants off it. But it is still a great bullet and I wouldn't feel under-equipped carrying them.

Also they don't make the BT/RT in 9x25 Dillon or 9x18 Makarov which I also like to carry from time to time.
What I will say is that police involved shootings since the introduction of Black Talon where rounds were in centre mass were in almost all occasions fatal but also incapacitated the suspect on all occasions very quickly. Over 20,000 LEO in Ontario carry .40 cal Black Talon as their required ammo.

The other thing I will add was that the trauma surgeons and forensic pathologists don't like them because they tend to be quite sharpe and risk cuts to fingers.

Any round can incapacitate if it lands in the zone, some are more effective than others. Something like 70% of rounds fired in a gunfight are misses so it doesn't matter what your shooting if you're not hitting your target. There is ton's of info and tests out there about what's most effective, and a lot of information is conjecture and speculation....heavy rounds vs lighter faster rounds. I think the .40 is a solid round for self defence, it's fairly easy to shoot accurately and has significant stopping power. But like I said, there are lots of rounds out there that will get the job done as long as you hit centre mass.

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 02-15-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1