Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
Probably preventive measures. SARS-Cov2 is like some other pathogens and relies on an increase in carbon dioxide to flourish. It just can't grow in oxygen. This is why we don't get COVID outside. The CO2 level in outside air runs around 400 ppm give or take 15 ppm depending on where you live. Inside air CO2 levels vary greatly depending on room volume, air exchange, and occupancy. The 6 foot rule everyone goes by just limits how many people can be in a room and won't keep you from getting COVID in a room filled with carbon dioxide. Air exchange is the key. Each breath we exhale has 38,000 ppm of CO2 and the levels build quickly.

As an example, tuberculosis has the same R0 value as the alpha strain of SARS-Cov2. Studies have shown that by decreasing room CO2 levels to 1000 ppm or less can completely stop outbreaks of tuberculosis. When I read this, I installed CO2 monitors in my stores and keep the CO2 level below 1000 ppm to see if it worked the same for COVID. We have unknowingly worked all day next to someone with COVID on multiple occasions and no one got infected.

With the increased R0 value of the Delta strain, it may require a lower threshold of carbon dioxide to prevent infection. I've started increasing air exchange at 900 ppm now and that may not be enough, I just don't know.
Are you sure you're not confusing the simple fact that humans generate CO2, so higher CO2 just means you're breathing more of others' air when you say things like "Covid can't grow in oxygen"? The concentration of CO2 indoors, no matter how high or low relatively is still absurdly low in absolute terms.
Appreciate 0