View Single Post
      01-14-2021, 02:36 AM   #72
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
I agree that the i8 does stand out in contrast to the Porsche Taycan Turbo S in certain respects (lightweight and lower sports car stance).

Perhaps the Taycan you test drove was, for the price, outfitted with a cheap standard interior finish. The Taycan Turbo I took delivery on has a more luxurious interior finish in contrast to my i8. Unfortunately, the matt carbon and neodyme accents, upgraded leather, and contrast stitching options throughout the cabin came at an exorbitant price, a notorious way in which Porsche is able to squeeze more $$$ from its customers.

The Taycan Turbo is an absurdly fast four-door GT for me and is my main daily drive. I'm quite pleased with how the performance package and rear-wheel steering are able to magically transform the 2.5-ton Taycan Turbo into a nimble sports sedan. However, when it comes to spirited driving, the i8 key fob is the first one I grab.

JasH, hope you're taking full advantage of tracking your McLaren during this challenging time. Shelter in place, here in California, would be driving me nuts if not for the every now and then spirited driving.
Than have a look at the absurd plastic passenger front cupholder

I agree in general but the devil is in the detail. Had a 911 4s, 911 Turbo, Taycan and a 911 convertible in the last weeks (the wife in the market for a new car). As well as the new 8 series convertible. Every (new) Porsche had a rattle somewhere in the dash. The BMW was without a doubt better made although kind of "old" looking. And the engine was very different Turbo vs. BMW with the BMW having a much more god like straight line acceleration feel. I agree anytime the first corner changes that, especially with the brilliant rear-wheel steering.

None of those cars compares to my real lifetime 0,9 L. / 100km i8. They are just so different. Most likely the wife will not buy any of them but an Aquila 211 for much less
Appreciate 0