01-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #120
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Correct. I made sure my QNAP can handle UHD video and I am using link aggregation to double the speed. For the home line you need the TS-251A for two drives or the TS-451A if you want four bays. I went with the 251A. I host all my photos and music from it. I also have my own private iCloud which is nice to share files or other media. I also use it for my computer backups of course.
I did the 251+, Black Friday deal at Newegg for $250. Love it. I went this route along with a Sony 4k blu-ray player (also Black Friday, for about $150), and I use that to do the transcoding work, and it streams Netflix, etc. of course as well. Total of $400 or so and it's been bullet proof, plays everything I throw at it. And of course I have a NAS I can use for PC backup (in addition to an offsite backup, but that's a whole new and different subject). I used to go the HTPC route but over time I've decided I prefer simplicity.

But this is for a single TV, not much use for Plex, kids on phones, etc. But it's maybe an option for some to look into.
Appreciate 0