c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I did the 251+, Black Friday deal at Newegg for $250. Love it. I went this route along with a Sony 4k blu-ray player (also Black Friday, for about $150), and I use that to do the transcoding work, and it streams Netflix, etc. of course as well. Total of $400 or so and it's been bullet proof, plays everything I throw at it. And of course I have a NAS I can use for PC backup (in addition to an offsite backup, but that's a whole new and different subject). I used to go the HTPC route but over time I've decided I prefer simplicity.

But this is for a single TV, not much use for Plex, kids on phones, etc. But it's maybe an option for some to look into.
It's almost overwhelming how much functionality is built in to these. I am barely using maybe a quarter of everything it can do. I doubled up on the RAM which helps since I may run some VMs later on. I was going to run a firewall (Sophos UTM) on it, but it didn't work out. I ended up getting an Untangle small firewall appliance and love that thing too. I will probably start feeding logs to the QNAP from it so I can look back over a longer period of time. Just haven't had time to mess with it.
Appreciate 0