View Single Post
      12-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

iX honest opinion - reveal & test drive review. GET ONE!!!!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Wondering if you should get an iX. This will help I hope. I just finished the edit on the video if you want to watch it.

I was invited to a BMW UK Reveal thing and so I took my camera.

Firstly if you don't want an electric car this won't change your mind but if you do...OMFG.

The iX was so good, so quiet and so modern, that I immediately took out the X545e straight after to compare, and was shocked.

As a massive fan of the X5 - it suddenly felt 1. Noisey! 2. V Old fashioned! Other than the Model 3 (which looks a bit stupid) this is the ONLY EV I would consider (no... desire!).

Yes I need to do a full close up review and cover the ACTUAL usage of the battery, but I suspect someone here will have done that before me; that of course is probably the most important thing. But in short if you don't want to watch the vid (I get it, means you leave this site, so maybe don't watch it

Materials.

Better than a 7.

Seats.

Better than the X5 - soft, new leather, large seats, so comforting. Seating position, completely upright if you want it.

Steering

A massive highlight for me. Super silky, smooth light and luxurious. X5 steering with added YUM.

iDrive8

The videos on YT don't work. It looks terrible on YT. In the flesh it is incredible. The detail, colours, fonts, maps, speed and overall design is way better than iD7 (which I didn't like much) compared to iD6.

Noises

Official word from my contact is that road noise is mitigated over the X5 by:

Wheel design.
Foam specially designed tyres for this car and non run-flats!
Elastic steering mounting thing.
Special engine mounts to reduce noise and feeling.
Acoustic glass.

But unofficially - I also think that there is roof acoustic fabrics in the lining and door cards. Silently with the doors closed there is almost a "noise cancelling" effect present.

This car is probably 40-50% quieter on the move than the X5. Almost nothing audible at 30mph. No tests at 70mph yet.

The electric noises, are hardly audible. So are not to disturb or annoy. But naturally due to who made them, they sound very VERY good on start up and on the move.

Harmon is standard along with Driving Assistant Professional. It has 24 drivers, and sounds stronger than the X5. Cleaner high ends, warm bass. Again due to the size of the space, it does not sound as amazing as the new 5 series Harmon Kardon, but will not disappoint. A little warmer than the X5 Harmon. I also think the sound deadening, which they have not admitted, and the quality of the leather, cushioning and surfaces help a lot.

Appointment

This car doesn't just feel like a luxury car, it feels like the bridge of a starship the lighting along the bottom of the window is a lovely touch and the colours are tremendous and new. Rear seats are angled back to almost recline. Everything you touch is unusually high quality for them. Let's be honest, it's been going down a bit. Carpets in the flooring and rear trunk area are thick pile.

Wheel

Not tried the plaid wheel yet but boy is that steering wheel fat and gorgeous to operate. I miss it. I want it.

Overall

Oddly I don't want this cause its an electric car. I want it because its the nicest car I have driven this year period. It just happens to be electric. (not my favourite part but also my favourite part).

Here is the video not to watch Any questions drop me a note.

Appreciate 14
ams317715.00
sward631.50
slampert162.00
thereef5101165.00
AshD101.50
AidenL69.50
volodp196.50
jmack1231300.50
DRTMGRT328.50
Sjokosaus199.50
dazzapb1050.00