View Single Post
      01-24-2024, 03:42 AM   #9
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Unfortunately the dreaded "unable to charge / main battery too low" -message refers to the "KLE unit". Google it, "BMW KLE unit problems" or such.

Before I got my i8 I had 7-series and it throw exactly that message when the KLE unit finally broke. At first car randomly threw all sorts of error messages so I replaced the 12V battery. Sometimes it charged from home charger or charger stations, sometimes not.

But culprit was the "KLE unit". Its know issue with many different BMWs from i3 to 330e, 530e, 740e from ... 2015 onwards.

And BTW, the i8 HV batterypack does NOT keep the 12V battery charged if car is let to sit w/o it being "plugged in". HV battery only does mantain 12V battery IF car is connected to a power outlet / home charger.

I personally tested this... I let my car sat at my garage for one month, then went to drive it - it threw all sorts of codes related to a weak 12V battery. Which was replaced like 3 months prior during a service. After that I've kept car "plugged in" 24/7 when I'm not using it -> no problems what so ever.
Appreciate 0