View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
That is the kind of mindset I definitely agree with. Unfortunately I see many people overly influenced by internet consensus about not just this but a wide array of things. There is a mob-like judgement that seemingly occurs.

I see the word "outdated" used on this forum and other car sites ALL the time. Overused even on things 6 months or 1 year old. It's absurd.
I agree with your point in general. With social media it's very easy to fall into the trap of consumerism. Especially when it comes to things such as smartphones where the differences between models is becoming more and more negligible while the prices are higher than never.

This is a problem I have. I justify it by saying its something I use everyday and can afford to buy the newest model for something I use so often. Will I really notice a ~20% increase in processing power going from a X to XS iPhone? No not really - but its makes you feel better about spending $1000 doesn't it?

That being said, everything is subjective. Some people put more value on being social and they would rather spend $150 at the bars than spend $150 more on a car payment to drive a nicer car. I believe in spending money on things that make you happy. I spend more on cars/motorcycles and some tech while not really spending much on shit I dont care about. I'm the guy who wears a ton of vendor t shirts because they're free at work conferences. I'm fine with a $40 pair of Addidas from Marshalls. I only really eat out once a week or so and mostly cook meals at home.
Appreciate 1
10"4967.50