08-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
I'm starting a new thread on this in addition to the previous, as I believe it increases visibility of the problem.

Like many other previous reports, I went to my car (which is stored in a garage and actually had been there for two weeks whilst on holiday) to find a large crack in the windscreen. It "starts" just behind the rear view mirror and then curves upwards and terminates at the point where the glass meets the roof.

As with other people, there's zero evidence of impact (and couldn't have been whilst it was in the garage) so it's clearly stress related.

I've got a BMW extended warranty. However this explicitly doesn't cover glass, so I expect that will be a short conversation. I can try BMW, but as it's out of OEM warranty I'm not optimistic, there's also the fact that to even get them to look at the car I have to wait four weeks, which is terrible service.

I expect I'm going to be left having to go through my insurance, as I don't want to be left with a £2k plus bill. The £95 excess is easier to swallow.

There's clearly a fault here. However I'm not sure it's wise to take the time to fight it, I need to get the windscreen repaired.

Just sharing as no doubt there will be others who face similar problems in the future.
Insurance seems like the simple and and least time consuming option.
Appreciate 0