08-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
Like many other previous reports, I went to my car (which is stored in a garage and actually had been there for two weeks whilst on holiday) to find a large crack in the windscreen. It "starts" just behind the rear view mirror and then curves upwards and terminates at the point where the glass meets the roof.
Please upload some pictures and update the thread if the crack grows as you drive it. Mine started mid-roof line after being parked in my garage overnight, and the crack branched into an upside down Y, and then extended towards the A-pillars.

I believe the door mounts on the A-pillars are transferring the force from the hinges, to the A-pillar, to the glass. Instead of being engineered to transfer that force to the remaining parts of the body, the exterior piece of the laminated glass is getting stretched to the point where it can't handle the force anymore and comes to a breaking point.

How many miles are on your i8 and what year is it? Mine cracked nearly 4 years after it was produced, and windshield was replaced under warranty after emailing many threads on this forum showing photos of the same crack location without evidence of an impact. It took a week to get approval and they kept the car overnight to let the windshield adhesive cure, which was the best thing to do. Immediately after replacement, I paid for 100% glass coverage (no deductible) on my i8 through my insurance company. It cost me an additional $100 per year, but after factory warranty ends, I'm going to be responsible if it cracks again, so this was cheap insurance.

If you reach out to BMW corporate on this issue and provide evidence of cracks that have developed, I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.
Appreciate 0