09-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The biggest problem for me, other than the looks is that the non-Tesla EV's still suck in one big area: Charging. The Electrify America charging network is pitiful when it comes to reliability and service. Too many times are chargers broken or not in service, and if they are, they won't provide a consistent charge. Superchargers are much better integrated, easier to use, and more reliable, and because its built into the ecosystem provide many useful features such as being able to get live updates on open stalls, how busy the station is, as well as integration into the car's main navigation for the fastest route with charging.

For a daily sedan I probably wouldn't find this an issue, but for an SUV that would be used for road trips it would prove more difficult. Even my most recent trip to the beach 3-hours from my house would prove difficult, as our friends with an E-Tron who were meeting us there had to reroute twice after two failed EA chargers at different locations.
Is the Tesla network that much more reliable? I cannot believe that they are, but I don't know anyone that uses the supercharger network on a weekly basis to see if they have the issues the other networks do. Personally, I think a PHEV makes more sense for a car to take on road trips, since you don't need to charge it if you don't want to.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0