Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The biggest problem for me, other than the looks is that the non-Tesla EV's still suck in one big area: Charging. The Electrify America charging network is pitiful when it comes to reliability and service. Too many times are chargers broken or not in service, and if they are, they won't provide a consistent charge. Superchargers are much better integrated, easier to use, and more reliable, and because its built into the ecosystem provide many useful features such as being able to get live updates on open stalls, how busy the station is, as well as integration into the car's main navigation for the fastest route with charging.

For a daily sedan I probably wouldn't find this an issue, but for an SUV that would be used for road trips it would prove more difficult. Even my most recent trip to the beach 3-hours from my house would prove difficult, as our friends with an E-Tron who were meeting us there had to reroute twice after two failed EA chargers at different locations.
...you do realize that there are DC fast chargers out there that aren't Electrify America, right? They aren't even the biggest network of DC fast chargers.

Here's a zoomed out map of DC fast charging locations excluding those from Electrify America and Electrify Canada. Still plenty...

Teslas do have a leg up in that they can use any Tesla charger as well as any non-Tesla charger, whereas non-Teslas can use everything except Tesla chargers (which is changing soon), but there are still so many chargers out there that many people don't realize exist, and every charging network out there is expanding as much as they can. As EVs and PHEVs become even more commonplace than they are, the charging network will grow to suit.
For DC charging in the OC, and Bethany area, Electrify America is pretty much the only choice for fast DC charging outside of Tesla (who has 4 chargers in the area), and the closest one is either in Annapolis or Wilmington, none actually in Bethany or OC area. All chargers there are low output shopping mall chargers or hotel only chargers that are slow and made for overnight use.