View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 11:54 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachBMW View Post
alright, so i was looking at a 06 E60 M5 with 101k miles for roughly 10 grand (US$)… the car is around 500 miles away from me and i wouldn’t be able to see it in person. i would have it shipped to my house and hope it isn’t a lemon - it has a carfax buyback guarantee

car looks pretty good and have the service records but in still weary about the S85 reputation + i’m a 16 year old in high school and would most likely drive it fairly often …

just phoning a friend.. would this be a bad decision
Long story short: you don't want an '06.

Honestly, at 16 years old and in high school I would stay far away unless you have a financial stream that could stomach a potential five figure repair bill. Have you owned BMWs in the past? S85s are no different than other BMW engines; they have their known weak points, and if you address them before they fail you'd more than likely be OK. The biggest one for me was the high pressure VANOS pump, that was enough to steer me away from the E60 M5. Rod bearings, throttle actuators, and the SMG stuff has been figured out by the DIY community and isn't too crazy.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 03-27-2024 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
xander_g1007.50