05-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouvercash View Post
The tires fitted on my i8 are the air filled Bridgestones.Find it crazy to go through tires that quick. I got 50.000kms out of my stock 2014 m6 gran coup.
Your comments prompted me to look into the tread depth of the Bridgestone Potenza that's equipped on the i8s. Apparently, the Bridgestone tires of late do not have the same level of tread life performance as in the past. In fact, its tread depth differs substantially for the i8 in comparison to the following list:

Tread depths
Bridgestone Potenza made for i8 - 8/32"
Regular Bridgestone Potenza - 10/32"
Pirelli P0 - 10/32"
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 10/32"

I also did some further digging. The performance on tread wear for Potenza's aren't what they use to be. Perhaps there's been a change in the compound utilized for the this tire is made for specific performance (e.g., softer compound for a quieter ride and for grippier handling) rather than for tread life.

Overall, comparison tests show that the Bridgestone Potenzas do not seem to perform as well when pitted against the above listed tires. Thanks for the heads up. Now I have to figure out some options before the impending i8 tire change.

Last edited by YWGT3; 05-16-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0