View Single Post
      06-07-2021, 11:22 PM   #71
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Ford's Coyote is a borderline masterpiece. 460HP, plenty of torque (though yes less than blown or low revving V8's but still shit tonnes), likes a rev and sounds great. So far very reliable too.

SOLD.
The Coyote is a few steps above the "less than 300" tq of the E92 V8. Like quite a few steps. And it's possible to still have significantly more torque on tap from lower RPM/flatter torque range than the Coyote. Area beneath the curve.

But my point was that the sound isn't totally dependent on the number of cylinders or displacement, at least my experience racing tells me otherwise. It seems a lot more dependent on how the exhaust is tuned/designed for the engine. And V8s aren't the best thing going anymore for torque. Sure, back in the 80s and whatnot, you wanted torque, you got "a V8", but now with the prevalence of quick-spooling turbos mounted right on the exhaust manifold, hot-Vs and other similar setups, those days are gone. Now the turbo has more torque and it's more usable torque.

There is something to be said though for pushing limits with NA V8s, getting about 500hp from the pushrod design in the small tight package in the C8, or Ford with their sky-high RPMs. These things are cool, but their time is running out. The torque-rich inline-6 and V6s from european manufacturers usually kick their butt or are just as fast.