Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
I'd personally not own an EV if I could not charge at home even if public charging was the same price. That is easy for me to say though since I can indeed charge at home.

Having to sit at a charger for an hour or so a week is a non starter for me. On a road trip, I can use the charging time to go to the washroom, eat, stretch my legs, etc. and mostly would have stopped anyway especially if it is a family trip. But my current 10 minute round trip to refuel (shell station is a 2 minute drive away) becoming an almost 2 hour affair (nearest public fast charger is a 20 minute drive away so just going round trip is 40 minutes lost right there) is a flat NO for me.
Same. Charging on the infrequent road trip now is actually practical with the expanding infrastructure and - better - charging speeds and technology in-car. But driving somewhere routinely to charge at home removes one of the primary advantages of using an EV for me, and would be less convenient in time than refueling my X5. And time is money. I do understand that particularly in the EU that may be a problem. Battery technology and charging speed will undoubtedly improve, infrastructure will undoubtedly expand, and fossil fuel costs will undoubtedly go up. Until those curves meet, we're still on the pioneer edge of practical EV driving - doable, but early. Still nice to be here....
Appreciate 4
TechCTU766.00
ggalanis2446.50
TXSchnee1315.00
slampert162.00