Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
55$ for full charge without membership… I think that's a lot of money. If gas prices weren't so high right now, filling up your X5 40i or something would only be mildly more than that. Just curious.
Well that depends on where you live and the gas prices there. Last week I filled up my X5 40i from pretty low in Plattsburgh NY and it was 100USD. I assume their gas prices are relatively high compared to the rest of the US though, but i don't think they doubled in the last year. Also note that the X5 gets more range than the iX on that full tank of gas.

But to your point, public charging is indeed relatively expensive. Here, they are still allowed to charge by the minute (which should be illegal). You can end up paying anywhere from 16.60$CAD to 47.31$CAD for this 83 minute charging session; Petro Canada 350kW charger in Quebec is 0.20$ per minute and Electrify Canada 350kW charger is 0.57$ per minute. You could save a bit at Electrify Canada by switching to the 90 kW charger when the car cant take more than that anyway and pay only 0.27$ per minute instead, but that would make it even more annoying.
Currently the regs in Canada state that any person or organization wanting to sell electricity or gas (excluding gasoline) on the basis of measurement must hold a certificate of registration issued under the authority of subsection 6(2) of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act. So they can't charge per kWh unless they register and must charge on another basis, ie time connected to the equipment, which works out great for them. They won't abandon that highly profitable model unless forced to by changes to the regs.

Technically they're not selling electricity, they're renting equipment. If the rules changed to mandate that the transaction must be characterized as a sale of electricity, they would be forced to register and then the rules stipulate that:

(a) the unit of measurement for the sale of electricity shall be
(i) the watt hour,
(ii) the volt-ampere hour,
(iii) the var hour, or
(iv) the joule

The public electric utilities are provincially regulated and rates are set based on reasonable profits. I'm not sure if this would apply to non-utilities like Shell or Petro Canada, for example.
Appreciate 1