03-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

BMW i4 Test Drive Experiences -- Share Yours

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Thanks for the information in other threads on US dealers receiving demo cars. Starting this tread for others to share their test drive experience and post photos (if they'd like). I always enjoy seeing non professional photos of different angles and different specs of cars.

My test drive was short. Took it on a pretty straight local street and hopped on the freeway for a couple exits.

It was a M50 without too many bells and whistles.

Here are just some observations:
- Acceleration of the car was fast.
- Full acceleration from a stand still. Had to really hold onto the steering wheel as the cars rears felt like it moved side to side a little (not term what that is called).
- Weight. a lot of reviews talk about this feeling like a heavy car. It does feel very planted. Gives a very secure/safe feeling. But in no way did the car feel slow. Acceleration was great and a whole lot of fun. You can literally step on the gas and have your passenger's head hit the headrest from all that torque.
- Ionic Sound Sounds different in person than in videos. Quite impressive and immersive (and this is without the Harman Kardon. Wonder if that would make it sound different). Note you probably won't hear too much "acceleration" sound in this car in normal driving as the car is fast. I didn't have to step on it too far and I was easily at 60/70mph.
- The open pore fine wood oak grain was not that impressive (this is completely subjective. I personally like matte wood. But it didn't have enough variation for me. I love the matte wood in my recent Audi Etron). Sorry no pictures. Forgot to take some of the interior.
- Visibility out of rear window. Smaller due to the sloping roof line. But didn't bother me. It's better/bigger than the Tesla Model Y.
- Door handles. As others mentioned, it's not as easy to grab and just open the door. If done too quickly, I can see how ones hand might slip. But it is doable. Not ideal, but something I think one can get adjusted to and live with.
- Rear seat entrance. Smaller opening. Acceptable for people that aren't too tall (6ft+). But I think if you want to carry people that are that tall. You need to move up into the next segment.
- Rear windows. Doesn't roll down all the way. Not sure why. But that's a bit of a bummer.

Overall Impression- it's a great car. I'm gonna keep my pre-order and take delivery whenever it's available. As a daily driver, I'm going to have a lot of fun in it. The build quality is excellent and the driving comfort is superb. It's not as fast or light as a Tesla Model 3. It might not feel as roomy. But small BMW's (for me) have always been more about the driver experience. Like a fighter jet cockpit. Good looking controls/displays. Heads up display. Sports seats with bolsters that really keep you in place comfortably. It's pricier, but if your budget allows and you want luxury and a solid, fast car. This is it currently in this segment.

Here are some real world photos (with dirt and all).
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
cruzer6661235.50
Mani5913298.50
Sportstick4605.50
cfm56d7b5849.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
Heimdall136.50
nathanm4681.00
leon360x139.50