03-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You don't just build a "pricey" halo version of a car and then a "normal" version of that same car.

When a manufacturer spends all the money and design on a "Full Carbon Fiber, Hybrid AWD, and 1000 HP" halo car, what business model suggests dropping in a 3-cyl mini engine and also rolling it out in a "normal" (budget) variant? If you spend the money to design a chassis for such a powerful, then it makes no sense to water it down for a much less expensive variant.

If BMW built the i8 you allude to, we wouldn't have any i8's like we have today at any price point.
Perhaps, but we will never know, re the i8.

Regarding Aston Martin, that is virtually what they are doing. 003 is all carbon, but the production Vanquish is virtually all aluminium. Engine size will be the same, although I am sure the power output and probably internals will differ very significantly.

Although, with the i8 the carbon tub was there at least for a halo version. Its already strong and stiff enough for more power. The problem is that it was never designed to fit a bigger engine, for packaging. I don't blame them for that, given the struggle BMWi had in bringing the i8 into being.

I just feel that BMW have failed to follow up on the incredible initial launch of the i8. The LCI model is better in a few ways, yet worse in others.

But perhaps they are working on a great replacement. It would not surprise me at all in fact, but I just can't see them reaching this kind of level (003). Vanquish level is perfectly in reach though, if they really go for it.
Appreciate 0