View Single Post
      06-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The Great Race had an organized stop in our town last weekend. It was nice seeing the vintage cars going by.

I ran the Nevada Open Road Challenge. It sure was fun to pull up next to a sheriff deputy at the start line, and have him wave you off on a totally legal ~90-mile run at flat-out speeds on a state highway. My trip home was more fun, because I detoured through Montana during their "reasonable and prudent" daytime speed limit days. I drove 617 miles in under six hours, and that included two gas stops, a few souvenir shop visits, and three rest area bladder dumps. Better than flying to Germany for an autobahn run, and essentially zero traffic the entire time.

I also raced in the One Lap of America, which at the time was still being organized by Brock Yates (Cannonball Run movie writer). It was over 5,000 miles driving between a whole slew of famous race tracks, where everyone did two time trial (think NASCAR qualifying) laps for score. The race officials did not encourage speeding between tracks, but there was an unofficial betting pool for who would get the most and highest speed tickets among most of the drivers.

Glad that I did both from a bucket-list perspective, but I'd never do either of them again.....
CamasM3e933164.00
wdb4732.00
iminhell13914.50
GERMAN M34181.00