Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
We have been drifting a bit off topic here... but a few more thoughts. 'Grip' depends on friction between tire rubber and road. More tire contact patch can increase grip up to a point - e.g., wider tires slide more easily on ice. All things being equal, if tires on the outer side of a curve have more grip, the car will lean more, higher g.

And yes, we are comparing recent (F80) M3s. Discussing which M3 had best steering feel and handling deserves a pitcher of really good cold beer. I would love to have a pristine E36. I still miss my 2002tii...
Makes sense-- F8X is the only M3/4 with garbage steering (well, probably the new one, too), as the only EPS version-- and it's heavier than an i8, with wider tires (both with for steering feel). So, I think that's accurate-- the i8 has marginally better steering feel than the F8X M3/4, and WAY worse steering feel than any M3 prior to it.

That said, if you look at the physics equation for the force of fiction:
F=μN
(verify here: https://sciencing.com/calculate-forc...n-6454395.html )

Translated:
(Force of friction) = (coefficient of friction) X (normal force)

Further translated:
(Tire grip) = (tire compound) x (weight of car)

Obviously a heavier car also places more load on the car under cornering, so making a car heavier doesn't make it grip better. But, that is why downforce works so well-- increasing the grip without increasing the cornering load.

Wider tires do worse on snow because they make it easer to effectively hydroplane (on the snow)-- the wider (but shorter) contact patch means more snow has to be displaced or driven on top of.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0