View Single Post
      04-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.k View Post
I know this is the worst time to be buying/selling a car , but are i8’s difficult to sell in the U.K. generally?

It seems they were less popular here than in other countries and they depreciate like a M5 in the first year, despite limited numbers. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one on the road.

They are unusual in the sense that they are not electric, so the Tesla crowd aren’t interested, and because it has a 3 cylinder 1.5, it is not a rival to the 911, AMG GT or R8.

I really like them personally after initially being very unsure. I think the price point was too high new, hence the savage depreciation?

All the reviews I’ve watched are positive, but my lack of knowledge on i8’s is making me unsure.

I normally buy cars I’ve been looking at and researching for a while, but the price of i8’s surprised me and now I’m trying to find out as much as I can.

I go by the old saying - Everything sells at the right price!. who dictates that price is usually the man with the cash in his pocket - unless of course a particular seller isnt willing to sell at the buyers price.

Any car at this price point with a technology thats unknown to many traditonal buyers of fast cars is likely to hit a reluctance of sales further down the line which may not affect the more usual Porsche as an example.

Im in the market to buy a Roadster version at the moment and im not seeing any horror stories of the cars themselves- they seem to be fairly robust so far, however due to parts costs and the complexity of the car, I wouldnt take the risk of buying outside of warranty and if keeping hold of the car, id be wanting to extend the bmw warranty which is around £1300 per year after the 3 year manufacurers warranty expires.

If you like the car and can find one within your budget ( keep in mind you average corner garage cannot fix these if the electronics / high volts system goes wrong ) and you can afford to maintain it at bmw or buy the warranty and keep it valid, then just buy the car and enjoy!.

It a unique vehicle, I like that they are not 2 a penny like the porsche cars are and i very much like the silent driving that the electric only gives.

go for it if you like it!
Appreciate 0