United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Curious but Did you think the electric car would be louder than the V8 for some reason? And still haven't explained why you went with the electric car when said it didn't do much for you (and I can agree with that after driving it and the iX last weekend).

Was it just the only thing available that was of any interest?
I certainly thought there was a chance I may experience more road/wind noise in the cabin of a 4 series than of an 8 series. If the 4 series was any louder within and didn't have the benefit of a motor/exhaust to drown out that noise periodically, I'd probably look to flip it quickly.

As for why I went electric... yeah, it was highly a factor of interest, but also practicality of moving back to a GC. The M8 didn't do much for me in terms of power because of the weight and numbness anyway. I had mine at the track, but it's just too heavy to have fun driving anywhere toward the limit for too long, if I want a car that feels fast, I'd go back to my F80 M3 and just not plan to drive it on the highway unless I was headed to an event... different tools, can't have it both ways, etc., etc..
I enjoyed your review very much but I have to admit that I am a bit surprised that you'd rather have the I4 over the M8. I've never driven the 8 series at all but I love the look of the 850i and the M8 GC. I was actually thinking of going from the X5M competition to either a M850 or M8 GC. I not sure if I'm ready to let go of the full M experience and options yet but the 8 series GC looks so comfortable and I thought quite. I figured it would make a great cruiser and sports car when I needed. My children are pretty much grown so no one usually sits in the back seat of my X5M because we usually drive my wife's larger SUV when we travel or go out as a family so backseat room isn't that important but I feel the Gran coupe looks better. Surprisingly, your review is the second review I have read that basically described the 8 series as boring or not that thrilling. I had the M550 before the X5M and I loved it. I really love the X5M as well but I don't like feeling like I have to always drive fast when getting on the interstate. I really like it but, I feel like I need to chill before I get myself in trouble or worse. Anyway I guess I need to drive an 8 series before making up my mind. I think that it is BMW's best design yet.