05-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #98
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I don't know which tracks you're driving on but after one lap at Hockenheim - which was quoted earlier on here - the battery of the i8 is empty. Meaning that after 1:15 minutes you cannot drive the i8 fast anymore, whereas with any petrol engined car you can do so until the tank is empty. Which takes 3 minutes to fill up, and then you go again. Impossible with the i8.

But then it's not designed for that anyway. I think people always make the mistake of comparing it to sports cars - it isn't really one, except for the looks. Which is fine, as looks are also an aesthetic pleasure and why shouldn't people buy it based on that, plus the image of a technology showcase.
Actually it is quite a sporty car, and no, it is not meant to compete with all sports car in all situations, but it just so happens to do so very effectively in certain conditions. Yes on some tracks it may run out of battery, but again depending on conditions it may not.

But you are also quite dead on correct: it is a technology showcase. For the same dollars there are much better pure sports cars that can be had. And there are also much more "showy" cars that can be had. But nothing out there right now in that range has the multiple personalities of the i8. And if it wasn't for the front tires I have to say it handles very competitively.
Appreciate 0