techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I suspect the next EV in the 3/4 family will see that tech.

The 5/7 already have it. It's called "Carbon Core".
If you open the door of a new 7 you see the small logo. If you go look in the trunk, under the package shelf you can see the carbon weave in the carbon/plastic.
It's a shame, but BMW divested from SGL Carbon and I guess carbon core in non-luxury vehicles is out of the question.

They lost money on every i3 they produced due to the expensive carbon structure so they went back to their safe space with the i4. Honestly, I can't blame them even though it means it is quite a bit heavier than it could be but on the other hand, it is competitively priced - if it had the i3 carbon core, it would be just way too expensive (even more so now that they don't own the tech anymore) I'm afraid.
It was a partial divest.

https://www.sglcarbon.com/en/company...rbon-fibers-1/

"BMW Group has entered into an agreement with SGL Group to continue to work together on future projects involving the use of carbon.

The existing supply agreements for the continued procurement of carbon products from SGL ACF for the BMW i3, the BMW i8, and the BMW 7 series into the next decade are unaffected by the transaction. Likewise, BMW Group's CFRP-stacks production unit in Wackersdorf will not be affected. Furthermore, the transaction will not impact BMW AG's 18.3% shareholding in SGL Carbon SE. This equity investment is not up for disposal."

So you are partially correct but BMW is still heavily invested in SGL. The 49% initial investment in SGL ACF is what went away.