04-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #425
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
The guys above hit on everything, you just gotta keep at it. I wouldn't worry about the weight aspect too much unless you start to see that you're putting on fat in unwanted areas. People tend to get hung up on that but it's just a number. For instance Tuesday last week I was 191, by Friday I was 198 without feeling much of a difference at all. Weight can fluctuate, it is what it is, what matters is eating health consciously while ensuring that you're getting enough nutrition to grow (if that's your goal).

Form, ancillary muscle developement, persistency.

Side note got the chocolate caramel pretzel protein flavor yesterday in the mail, didn't taste any caramel or pretzel but I did mix w/ peanut butter, still tasty tho.

+1.

You want muscle growth, you have to be in a calorie surplus unless you are just starting out and a newbie to lifting. It's a fine line we walk between eating enough calories to trigger growth, but not get too fat in other areas.

Also as you get heavier, your body will gravitate towards partitioning your extra calories to unwanted areas. It's called a "P-Ratio". (Partitioning Ratio). You can affect this to a certain bit such as how you combine your foods, but you will reach a point where you have to slow down....sometimes painfully slow.

I find that if I get above 12%, my body shifts towards putting fat on a little more easier. But I'm lucky in that my body-fat is distributed more evenly.....so I can still see abs at 12%.

As for any exercise you want to progress at....you just have to work that exercise. Make sure you are using proper form, and then work every variation of it. You get better at it by performing it.

And as someone else mentioned....Lats play a major role in Bench Pressing. If your back is weak, your bench will stop progressing at some point. When you bench, you aren't just using your pectoral muscles. You are using lats and triceps if you are setting up the right way.

You have to learn how to engage all of these even if it means lowering the weight and learning the proper form all over again.

Then repeating the process over and over. It's taken me 15+ years to get to the point of where I am at currently. And the last 5 years have been more focused on diet than anything.