View Single Post
      06-22-2022, 12:28 AM   #20
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

The biggest problem with EVs right now is availability (like many other vehicles).

Try to get an X3 allocation and it isn't too difficult. Try to get an i4 allocation and it's a different story. I'm hoping BMW continuously increases production capacity so we have better availability.

After incentives, pricing really isn't too far from an M440i or similar, also we're in a weird place with relatively few discounts.

For anyone curious, see if there's an Ultimate Drive Event near you. I did one a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed driving the i4 M50. While it's not a "true" M car, the instant torque is a game changer and for non-track use, I can't imagine needing more power.

As for the silly political debate, there will always be luddites who are resistance to change, even though change is constant.

The downsides IMO were that the i4 wasn't built on a dedicated platform, so doesn't have a "frunk" and still has legacy ICE infrastructure such as the transmission tunnel in the rear floor. Fit/finish and overall experience seemed better than the Tesla M3 to me at least (but i'm biased towards BMW). Overall, I still think it's a solid deal and isn't priced too far from a regular M440i even though there's a LOT more power.
Appreciate 0