View Single Post
      06-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #34
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Turns out that Toyota got a ton of grant/subsidizing money from the Japanese government for hydrogen development years ago as part of a big alternative fuels push and this continued for quite a while. That's why they were making all the one-off hydrogen prototype stuff. None of this has ever been serious on Toyota's part, just utilizing funds and making something to show for it.

They've been silently working on battery technology and seem poised (based on the video below) to jump on the solid state battery wagon and have electric cars with 2-3x the range of the longest-range stuff on the road today.

I see hydrogen as impractical for most ICE applications, but a few that require more energy density than can be provided by batteries in the foreseeable future, like aircraft and cargo ships (and some others obviously) may make sense. I think long-range trucking will go battery as well, based on the rate of development and with other solutions like battery swaps. It is also not practical to generate an entire supply chain and the required infrastructure to produce, compress and deliver hydrogen to every gas station out there. It's a crazy amount of energy to accomplish this. Electrical infrastructure may not be perfect or capable of just turning a switch and everything all of a sudden going to electric, but it is there, it works and it is being gradually updated as more electrification is happening.

Last edited by RM7; 06-21-2021 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0