JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post Pure Impulse Arctic Adventure

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Pure Impulse Finland event - simply awesome, once in a lifetime trip.

This picture below was taken by BMW, not me. No photoshopping

Some fun Day 1 in i8.

This was my instructor driving above, but I replicated the powerslide afterwards. I found it v easy to power slide i8 on ice, Ken Block style

The i8 was incredibly easy to 4 wheel drift powerslide. A bit harder to opposite lock powerslide, but easily achievable by pulsing the throttle and keeping it balanced, with DSC fully off

In fact I found the i8 the easiest to powerslide of all the 4WD BMWs I tried.

The i8 was on 5 series wheels. Identical size all round, and studded tyres of course.

The first day was amazing, with far more driving than expected. I loved it! A truly fantastic, memorable driving experience that I learned so much from. I love my i8 even more now after powersliding one on ice!

How not to do it - a friend, whom I will not name

And how it should be done:

The second day was exhausting, back-breaking, painful and extremely tough. So much so that I had had enough after 90 minutes or so.

We went 180km into the Arctic Circle on snowmobiles. It was INCREDIBLY tough, and only a few of us did it all the way. I did, but was struggling to walk and move afterwards. Everything hurt, and for days afterwards!

It was the toughest thing I've ever done physically, by far. The organisers said they will never try this again.

The cold was not a problem in daylight due to lots of layers and good clothing. It was just VERY physically demanding and we had a v fast pace. It was too much when it got bumpy - really horrible. When we were down to our tiny group, we sped up a lot At least until the severe bumps. I think we were out for about 11 hours in total, and mostly on the move throughout.

However it was not safe to go so fast due to the trees and occasional stumps. It was also just too demanding on the human body. On our way back it was pitch black and it got very very cold.

I had a bad start too as I had a crash just 50m of setting off and flew off my snowmobile onto the road! I was lucky the vehicle did not land on me, as I literally flew off.

I stepped off where that picture is taken and sank to my waist! The snow was extremely deep! A few snowmobiles got stuck when we stopped (loss of momentum) and had to be dug out

Overall it was an awesome trip, and I am very glad to have done it all.

Last edited by JasH; 03-19-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 3
Aye-eight508.50
YWGT3362.50
DFR76.00